Dear Discovery World Members and Guests,
We are excited to share with you that Discovery World will begin a major expansion and renovation this year that will add nearly 20,000 square feet of accessible public space to our center!
The first phase of the project will begin in August 2017 will be completed by summer of 2018. We will construct a new, 10,000 square foot permanent pavilion that will replace the seasonal tent we typically construct each spring and summer on Discovery World’s north lawn. This versatile pavilion will serve a variety of purposes, such as:
- providing a significant increase in available orientation and lunchroom space for visiting school groups,
- expanding available educational space for field trips, summer camps, and other educational programs,
- showcasing large (7,500 to 10,000 sq. ft.) traveling technology or freshwater exhibits, and
- offering opportunities to host special events, programs, conferences, and weddings year-round on Milwaukee’s beautiful lakefront.
The lead donation helping us make this first phase possible has been provided through a generous gift by the Reiman Family Foundation, and we are grateful for their support.
The second phase of the expansion will significantly reshape major exhibit space and reimagine the ways in which you and your family explore, learn, and play at Discovery World. When completed, these improvements will DOUBLE the amount of exhibit and program space that you can currently access in our Technology Wing! This major renovation will include the:
- construction of a new Admissions Desk and grand entrance to our Technology Building,
- transformation of one of our theaters into a new exhibit gallery, and
- creation of 5,000 sq. ft. of new public space (on a mezzanine level that is currently inaccessible to the public), where we will add exhibits focused on public health, medical research, and careers in health care.
These investments in Discovery World will be funded through private contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The lead gift for the project funding has been provided by the Reiman Family Foundation; that gift and other commitments will enable the work to get underway in 2017. The full project budget is approximately $18 million, and the fundraising campaign is currently underway to ensure that the work can be completed by the end of 2018.
For more information regarding how you can support this exciting project, please contact Jennifer Clearwater at (414) 765-1972 or email@example.com.