The pages of the calendar have turned once more, the parties are over, and resolutions have been made (and some even broken by now). We may be more excited for the year to come than any since we opened on the lakefront in 2006, and we hope that you will be just as thrilled as we are to celebrate 10 years on Milwaukee’s lakefront.
Here is a sneak preview of what to expect early in 2016:
- From January 23rd through April 25th, Discovery World will host “Genome: Unlocking Life’s Code,” a traveling exhibit developed by the Smithsonian and the National Institutes for Health. This exhibit will be in Milwaukee thanks to a partnership between Discovery World and the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), and this is just the first step in a partnership that will eventually lead to a permanent health exhibit at Discovery World.
- The Genome Exhibit will be the first installation in our new 4,000 sq. ft. exhibit hall. We have created a spectacular public space with dramatic views of Lake Michigan and Lakeshore State Park, and we are eager to welcome our members and visitors to share this with us. The Genome Exhibit will be followed by another traveling exhibit (shhh, this one is a secret!) this summer as we develop the plans and raise funds for a permanent health exhibit in the space.
- In February, we will welcome some new residents to our Reiman Aquarium. Piranhas, poison dart frogs, alligator snapping turtles and lots of other cool and colorful freshwater species will move in early this year. We promise not to put the piranhas in the Touch Tank if you will promise to come see them this year. Do we have a deal?
- Early this year, we will add new features to our flight simulator thanks to our friends and partners at Southwest Airlines. Guests will enjoy a new interactive exhibit that showcases the physics of flight as they await their chance to “virtually” land a plane at General Mitchell Field.
- We will once again offer our award winning summer camp programs (you can sign up for them already if you click here) and we have broadened our offerings to reach a broader audience of learners.
All this excitement will take place in just the first half of the year, and we have even more up our sleeves for the rest of 2016. We hope you can see why we are so excited and why we believe we have lots to celebrate all year long.
In 2016, we are more focused than ever on making the customer experience at Discovery World second to none. The improvements in the exhibits and experiences will be complemented by a deep focus on how we can enhance your enjoyment and educational experience. We wouldn’t have made it 10 years if not for your support and belief in our mission, and we aim to show you just how we feel about you in the coming year. You might even call that our New Year’s Resolution.
Discovery World President & CEO