The project began in September 2017 and will be completed by summer of 2018. We will construct a new, 10,000 square foot permanent pavilion that will attached to the north side of the Technology Building and replaces the seasonal tent we typically construct each spring and summer on Discovery World’s Posner Park. This versatile pavilion will serve a variety of purposes:
· Providing a significant increase in available orientation and lunchroom space for visiting school groups
· Expanding available educational space for field trips, summer camps, and other educational programs
· Showcasing large (7,500 to 10,000 sq. ft.) traveling technology or freshwater exhibits
· Offering opportunities to host special events, programs, conferences, and weddings year-round on Milwaukee’s beautiful lakefront.
The lead donation helping us make this first phase possible has been provided through a generous gift by the Reiman Family Foundation, and we are grateful for their support.
The expansion will significantly reshape major exhibit space and reimagine the ways in which you and your family explore, learn, and play at Discovery World. When completed, these improvements will DOUBLE the amount of exhibit and program space that you can currently access in our Technology Wing! This major renovation will include the:
· Construction of a new Admissions Desk and grand entrance to our Technology Building
· Transformation of one of our theaters into a new exhibit gallery
· Creation of 5,000 sq. ft. of new public space (on a mezzanine level that is currently inaccessible to the public), where we will add exhibits focused on public health, medical research, and careers in health care
These investments in Discovery World will be funded through private contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The lead gift for the project funding has been provided by the Reiman Family Foundation; that gift and other commitments has enabled some of our work to get underway in 2017. The full project budget is approximately $18 million, and the fundraising campaign is currently underway to ensure that the work can also be completed soon.