Director of Individual Giving
Director of Individual Giving
Reports to: VP of External Affairs
The Director of Individual Giving will focus on individual donors and prospects as a key member of a development team that is expanding networks of and deepening relationships with individual donors. This position also manages the execution of fundraising appeals and will lead the development and execution of a planned giving program. In leading organizational activity around individual giving this position will also work closely with the CEO, Board of Directors, and other organizational leadership.
The ideal candidate is ambitious in managing an individual giving program, takes a creative and intentional approach to fundraising, and has a passion for making authentic connections with our stakeholders and champions. Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills are necessary for this position, as is the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and achieve results in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Develop, implement, and manage overall annual and multi-year strategy for building out and running a program to prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward the organizations annual individual donors.
- Directly manage a portfolio of individual donors, including existing and prospective donors, securing renewals, and increasing their support over time. Work collaboratively with the membership team and others on the development team to grow support from existing members and individual donors.
- Build a pipeline of prospects, drawing on professional relationships, prospect research, and engagement with philanthropic communities.
- Actively participate in the creation and support the implementation of Discovery Worlds comprehensive fundraising plan, focusing on a variety of strategies and appeals designed to acquire and retain individual donors.
- Collaborate with development and membership teams to ensure strong internal communication and tracking of funders and prospects. Work closely with teams on identifying program-donor fit, funder briefings, data collection, and reporting.
- Work with the development and communications teams on a variety of fundraising and cultivation initiatives, including the annual gala, donor stakeholder calls, and events.
- Collaborate with the Development Manger to identify external workplace corporate giving opportunities for their employees.
- Create, develop, and implement the organizations planned giving program and serve as the internal resource for engagement and expertise around planned giving options and opportunities for donors and constituents.
- Lead development of individual donor reports and proposals, and creation of outreach and marketing materials for major donors.
- Engage in other fundraising initiatives as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned and/or required.
Listed below are required key points regarding the environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.): often
- Required to exert physical effort in handing objects more than 30 pounds: occasionally
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.): rarely
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements: rarely
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrate a commitment to and passion for Discovery World’s educational mission.
- At least 5 years of relevant years of experience in fundraising including experience in individual donor engagement, donor pipeline management, donor data analytics, and related writing experience.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to compose compelling language about Discovery Worlds mission and goals.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information regarding Discovery Worlds business and sensitive donor information; high degree of self-motivation, personal discipline, and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage diverse audiences and to build long-term relationships, including experience leveraging executive-level staff to achieve fundraising success.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field is required.
- Must have ability to work in a team-oriented environment, demonstrating a flexible approach.
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities
- Experience with CRM systems a plus
- Previous experience with direct mail and email campaigns and proven skills in donor segmentation and list management a plus
- Knowledge and experience with standard fundraising practices and techniques
- Experience working with nonprofit boards