Early Elementary STEM Educator
Early Elementary STEM Educator
Reports To: Education Programs Manager
Schedule: This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Hours are typically Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm with some evenings and weekends as required.
Discovery World is looking for a responsible, enthusiastic, independent-working educator, who believes in the importance of STEM Education, to join our Education Team. This person will deliver and assist in creating STEM-based workshops and experiences to visiting schools, virtual students, and the public, primarily aged K4-2nd grades.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Deliver hands-on and virtual programming on a variety of STEM-related topics to school groups, public visitors, and Summer Camp participants, typically in groups of 12-30.
- Develop and/or revise STEM curriculum and programs for younger learners, particularly the early elementary grades (K4-2nd).
- Develop and deliver activities for weekend workshops, special events, and other public programming requests.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and day-to-day upkeep of lab spaces.
- Facilitate proper and safe usage of lab equipment, computers, and materials.
- Train other team members to teach classes and workshops as needed.
- Assist in the process of creating and implementing program evaluations.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to work with children ranging in age from 3-18 years of age.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operations, etc.): most of the workday
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 30 pounds: rarely
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.): sometimes
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements: sometimes
- Normal setting for this job is: classroom setting
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Degree in Education, Science, or other related field
- 1 or more years of formal or informal education presentation experience
- 1 or more years of experience instructing children aged 4 through 9
- Curriculum development experience (preferred)
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities
- Must enjoy a fast-paced environment and working with all ages
- Enthusiastic with excellent presentational skills
- Demonstrated ability to adjust content to age-appropriate levels as required
- Ability to present information to diverse audiences with a range of abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable utilizing classroom management strategies and instructional styles
- Comfortable with a wide variety of science or design content and eager to learn
- Comfortable leading dissections (preferred)