Part-time School Group Educator
Reports To: Manager of Education Programs
Job Summary: Discovery World is looking for a responsible, enthusiastic, customer service-minded individual to work closely with the Education Team to deliver labs and workshops to visiting school groups, primarily aged 1st-8th grades. Individuals with experience in electronics, engineering, biology, chemistry, and technology are encouraged to apply.
Position begins January of 2020. Desired availability Tuesday-Friday, 8:00 AM-3:00 PM. Monday availability a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver hands-on programming to children in groups of 15-30
- Set up and monitor the films, live shows, and programs that take place in the theater for school groups
- Facilitate the proper use of various lab equipment, computers, and materials
- Maintain the organization and inventory of supplies, as well as day-to-day up keep of the labs
- Prepare materials and programs prior to labs
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 30 pounds rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely.
- Normal setting for this job is: classroom
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience –
- BS/BA in Education, Science, or equivalent experience
- One year of teaching experience to children in a formal or informal setting preferred
- Comfortable teaching a wide array of subject matter including biology, general science, technology, and electronics after adequate training
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities Required –
- Self-starter and work independently with minimal supervision
- Comfortable supervising assistant educators and volunteers
- Enthusiastic with excellent presentational skills and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable implementing classroom management strategies
- Must demonstrate organization, responsibility, and time management skills
- Professional demeanor