Reports To: Senior Manager of Education Programs and Senior Curriculum and Program Development Manager
Job Summary: Discovery World is looking for a responsible, enthusiastic, customer service-minded individual to work closely with the Education Team to deliver workshops to Girl scouts and Boy Scouts in 2nd-8th grades both at Discovery World and via our mobile education program. Individuals with experience in engineering, electronics, biology, chemistry, and technology are encouraged to apply.
Position begins on Tuesday, October 9th, 2017. Workshops held at Discovery World on Wednesday and Friday evenings, 4:00 PM-9:30 PM and Saturdays 8:00 AM- 2:00 PM. Workshops held off-site via the mobile program held Monday, Tuesday, and/or Thursday evenings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver hands-on workshops to children in groups of 10-25
- Ensure that students meet all requirements of each workshop satisfactorily
- Prepare materials and programs prior to workshops
- Facilitate the proper use of various lab equipment, computers, and materials
- Maintain the organization and inventory of supplies, as well as day-to-day up keep of the labs
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 30 pounds rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely.
- Required to travel to locations outside of Discovery World.
- Normal setting for this job is: classroom.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA in Education, Science, or equivalent experience
- One year of education experience in a formal or informal setting preferred
- Comfortable teaching a wide array of subject matter including biology, general science, technology, and electronics after adequate training
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities Required:
- Self-starter and work independently with minimal supervision
- Comfortable supervising assistant educators and volunteers
- Enthusiastic with excellent presentational skills and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable implementing classroom management strategies
- Must demonstrate organization, responsibility, and time management skills
- Professional demeanor
- Drivers License required for any Scout Educator facilitating mobile workshops
Please submit resume and cover letter to Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Discovery World/Attn:Caitlynn Jahr, 500 North Harbor Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Resumes sent without references will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.