Summer Camp Educator
Summer Camp Educator
We are looking for individuals who are responsible, enthusiastic, and passionate about working with children to lead our Summer Camps for students ages 6 to 14. The Summer Camp Educator will work certain weeks of the summer Monday through Friday 8am-5pm. Please see descriptions below for the Educator categories we are looking for.
Hours include, but are not limited to: Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm, part-time, seasonal.
- Deliver hands-on programming to groups of 15-20 students during the full week of camp
- Create a fun and open learning environment
- Prepare materials, set up classroom, and clean up after camp daily
- Enforce behavior protocols, help campers resolve conflicts appropriately, and intervene when campers are having behavior issues
- Communicate with the Summer Camp Coordinator and/or parents about camper experiences.
- Supervise classroom assistants, interns, and volunteers assisting with Summer Camp
- Review and modify curriculum based on camp needs.
- Facilitate the proper use of various lab equipment, computers, and materials
- Help in supervision of campers before and after camp
- Assist guest educators and professionals
- BS/BA in Education, Science, Art, Technology or equivalent experience
- Education experience with youth in a formal or informal setting
- Ability to implement classroom management strategies and team building exercises to create a welcoming camp environment
- Comfortable teaching a wide array of subjects in areas of science, technology, engineering, and math
- Must be extremely punctual, enthusiastic, creative, and a problem-solver
- Self-starter able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professional demeanor
- Comfortable supervising assistant educators and volunteers
The ideal Educator will have a background in one or more of the following categories:
- First Grade Summer Camp Educator – The ideal candidate for this position has a strong background in early elementary education. This individual feels comfortable instructing students ages 6-7 on a wide variety of elementary science topics. The candidate has a strong understanding of strategies to engage and teach young elementary learners through hands-on, exploratory learning techniques.
- General Science Summer Camp Educator – The ideal candidate for this position has a wide range of knowledge in the science field. This individual feels comfortable in instructing 8-14 year olds in general science camps on multiple topics including biological sciences, food science, chemistry, physics, forensic science, robotics, electronics, and others.
- Animation and Claymation Summer Camp Educator – The ideal candidate for this position has a strong background in Animation and Claymation. This individual has a thorough understanding of commonly used animation programs, the animation process, and the ability to convey design and artistic concepts to students. The candidate has experience and/or formal education in some or all of the following:
- Working with Blender, Maya, 3DS Max or similar programs
- Working with Adobe Premiere or similar program
- Experience using both PC- and Mac-based systems
- Biology Summer Camp Educator – The ideal candidate for this position has a strong background in biology, zoology, and/or ecology. This individual should feel comfortable leading dissections and instructing 8-14 year olds in biological science topics including anatomy, animal sciences, botany, ecology, and others.
- Print and Design Summer Camp Educator – The ideal candidate for this position has familiarity with screen printing processes, graphic design, inks, and other visual communication media. This individual is comfortable instructing 8-14 year olds and guiding them through design creation. The candidate is comfortable with Adobe Creative Suite and is accustomed to using a variety of materials including emulsion, inks, dryers, letter press, and other screen printing tools.
To apply, send resume with references to Human Resources Department at email@example.com or mail to Discovery World/Attn:Caitlynn Jahr, 500 North Harbor Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Resumes sent without references will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.