Reports To: Liaison
Kohl’s Design It! Lab at Discovery World is looking for part-time, responsible, enthusiastic, customer service-minded individuals to teach and deliver design programs/projects to the public. This position works directly with the general public ranging in all ages and requires patience and good teaching skills.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in public speaking and a passion for creating a wide range of projects. They will be maker-minded with some knowledge of materials and methods. They will have experience in some of the following:
- Low tech skills; hand tool use, sewing, bending wire, precision with X-acto knives
- Drawing/sketching skills
- Laser cutters, sample cutters, vacuum formers, heat sealers, and heat guns
All hours: Monday – Sunday, including periodical nights and weekends
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Educate participants about the Kohl’s Design It! Lab relating to industrial design both on-site at Discovery World and throughout the Milwaukee community
- Deliver hands-on projects, at off-site locations during the week and in the Kohl’s Design It! Lab on weekends, anywhere from 10 to 1,000 participants
- Maintain a safe, design-focused environment during all Kohl’s Design it! Lab events and programs
- Maintain inventory of supplies within lab space(s), both on and off-site
- Continuously work to improve delivery skills
- Encourage an environment of creativity and innovation
- Represent and promote Discovery World and it’s educational programs at all Discovery World events at Discovery World and within the community
- Ensure proper tool use and cleaning of tools is maintained
Listed below are key points regarding work environment and environment demands of the job.
- Professional demeanor
- Working knowledge of scientific concepts, processes, and topics
- Good teaching and communication skills
- Confident presenting in large group settings
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, customer-focused environment
- Competency in using basic tools and an interest in “making things”
- Works well with others in team settings
- Level-headed and is competent in maneuvering stressful situations for a positive customer experience
- Experience working with youth and families
- Valid Driver’s License
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills
- Developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and service-oriented
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Experience with diverse age groups
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Part-time availability including afternoon, evening, and weekend hours
To apply, send resume with references and a cover letter with salary requirements to Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Discovery World/Attn:Caitlynn Jahr, 500 North Harbor Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Resumes sent without references will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.