Reports To: Education Managers
Discovery World is looking for a responsible, enthusiastic, customer service-minded individual to work closely with the Education Team to deliver labs, workshops, and Boy and Girl Scout badges to children aged 6 to 13. Hours are generally between 8:30am – 10:00pm for 20-28 hours per week with some weekend requirements. Individuals with experience in electronics, engineering, robotics, graphic arts, biology, chemistry, and technology are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Deliver hands-on programming to children in groups of 15-25
- Facilitate the proper use of various lab equipment, computers, and materials
- Maintain the organization and inventory of supplies, as well as day-to-day up keep of the labs
- Prep materials and programs prior to labs and workshops
- Facilitate evaluation and improvement of programming
- Assist in the promotion and enhancement of educational and Scout programs
- Distribute certificates to Scouts that have completed the workshop
- May be asked to deliver workshop content off-site for the Scout Satellite Program
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely.
- Normal setting for this job is: classroom.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA in Education, Science, Technology or equivalent experience
- One year of education experience in a formal or informal setting preferred
- Comfortable teaching a wide array of subject matter including science, technology, electronics, graphic design and entrepreneurship after adequate training
- Experience with Girl Scouts and/or Boy Scouts is preferred, but not required
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities Required:
- Self-starter and work independently with minimal supervision
- Comfortable supervising assistant educators and volunteers
- Enthusiastic with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must demonstrate organization, responsibility, creativity and time management skills
- Professional demeanor
- Literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Literacy in Photoshop and Google Sketch-Up is preferred, but not required
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle to drive to and from off-site workshops
- Ability to occasionally sleep over at Discovery World on Friday nights during Boy Scout and Girl Scout sleepovers
Send resume with references and cover letter to Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Discovery World/Attn:Caitlynn Jahr, 500 North Harbor Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Resumes sent without references will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.