Love Your Great Lakes Day
Meet face to face with local organizations making waves to sustain our Great Lakes.
Discovery World is teaming up with other local Fund for Lake Michigan grantees to provide fun hands-on activities for everyone to enjoy. This is a family-friendly event offering fun and interactive educational experiences aimed at introducing you to our community’s connection to freshwater through local organizations that are instrumental in sustaining the Great Lakes.
- Port Milwaukee
- WATERshed Program
- Friends of Milwaukee’s Downtown Forest
- A Sailor’s Songbag with David HB Drake
- Riveredge Nature Center
- Tony’s Creepy-Crawly Zoo
- River Revitalization Foundation
- Special Presentation by John Gurda (in the Digital Theater) – 1:30pm. Join Milwaukee historian John Gurda and maritime photographer Chris Winters to learn about Milwaukee’s freshwater culture and the history of Discovery World’s Tall Ship, the Sailing Vessel (S/V) Denis Sullivan.
- Browse among vendors selling amazing handmade Great Lakes art, and more!
With experiences such as:
- Invasive Species Cart – Learn while enjoying a fun coloring activity!
- Scavenger Hunt – Take part in our fun scavenger hunt that will lead you throughout the museum. When you’re done, turn in completed sheet for a small prize!
- Upcycled Invasives (in the Kohl’s Design It! Lab) – Time: 10am-4:45pm. Invasive species aren’t the only invaders of the Great Lakes with a whopping 11-million pounds of plastic found in Lake Michigan each year. Get inspired and join the Kohl’s Design It! Lab team to create your own invasive critter using items found on the beaches of Milwaukee and other recycled materials.
- The Great Invasion! (in the Freshwater Sustainability Lab) – Session times: 11-11:30am, 12-12:30pm, 2-2:30pm, and 3-3:30pm. Do you love your Great Lakes? Enough to fight off an alien invasion to protect them? The Great Lakes are under attack by aliens! That’s right, real live aliens. Come to the Freshwater Sustainability Lab to learn how they are causing chaos in our Great Lakes and what you can do to stop the invasion. Become a detective and help solve the “Who-dun-it” crimes that have been committed by these aliens.
- Scientific Valentines (in the Bill Brady Intelligent Products Lab) – Open Lab: 11:30-3:30pm. Appreciate a scientist’s approach to love as you print your very own postcard-style Valentines. Make some for your loved ones, but don’t forget to keep one for yourself, too!
- And so much more!
Check back for more details as they become available.
|Saturday, Feb 10th|
|10am - 5pm|
|Enjoyed by All ages|
|Included in ticket price|